When it comes to skincare, the options are not limited to toners, moisturizers, and creams. But as every person deals with their own acne stories and battles with different types of skin problems, venturing for another skincare solution becomes necessary and at the same time, quite a challenge. That’s when essential serums come to light. Essential serums contain a concentrated formula of a respective key ingredient and targets particular skin irregularities. As it becomes a spot treatment, an essential serum deals with mild to severe skin issues such as acne, blemishes, fine lines and wrinkles, dark spots and other common concerns.
While essential serums, in general, are significantly beneficial in maintaining beauty and health, several vital factors need to be considered to address your specific problem on the dot.
The Best Essential Serums for Skincare in 2021
In this article, we have concluded an in-depth guide about the Top 10 Best Essential Serums for Skincare in 2021 to help you choose the latest, best-selling, and the most effective essential serums that will comply with your skin problems and will best suit your skin type.
List of the Top 10 Best Essential Serums for Skincare in 2021:
Last update on 2021-02-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Read more detailed reviews of each product and a buying guide at the following:
10. Skinfood Black Sugar Perfect First Serum 2x Essential
Skinfood is one of the pioneers in beauty and skincare in Korea. As they have been in the industry for decades, they have formulated a ton of skincare products. Among those huge lineup comes the essential serum with black sugar as the key ingredient.
The Skinfood Black Sugar Perfect First Serum contains twice the amount of black sugar extract. It works to brighten the skin and enhance its overall texture. As it is formulated without harmful unnatural ingredients, those who have sensitive skin can try it on. It exfoliates the skin leaving it smooth, toned, and brighter.
After cleansing your face, you can use the cotton pads included in the package and put on an optimal amount for your face. With its anti-aging properties, it can also work to diminish fine lines and wrinkles.
9. DermaQuest Essential B5 Hydrating Serum
The DermaQuest Essential B5 hydrating serum is formulated with hyaluronic acid, a popular ingredient that boosts the skin’s natural moisture retention. As it keeps the skin fully hydrated, the ferulic acid fights off environmental aggressors that your skin goes through every day. Without regular skincare, these aggressors and free radicals may aggravate your skin which can result in acne and other skin problems.
With the merging powers of B5, hyaluronic acid, and ferulic acid, the skin enters the restorative stage leaving it plumper, moisturized, and fully rejuvenated. As it cleanses the skin and keeps it hydrated, it helps prevent future acne breakouts. Because it is innovatively formulated with the highly-advanced liposome technology, the serum ensures deep and quick absorption to deliver the essential benefits into the innermost layers of the skin. It is applicable for all skin types.
8. Rosehip Night Serum by Leven Rose
Rosehip oil is the key ingredient. It contains essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and anti-aging properties that all work to remove the impurities of the skin and make it even more youthful, brighter, clearer, and smoother.
This essential serum highlights the pure rosehip extract together with the benefits of vitamin C, vitamin E, and natural ingredients. It targets signs of aging and dark spots: skin issues that aggravate the skin. It is specially made as a night serum, but it boasts its powerful ingredients that can even replace your old skincare stash.
Leven Rose Rosehip serum blends well and penetrates the skin to deliver the essential ingredients. It leaves the skin soft and smooth with a youthful glow. As it contains mild UV protection, you can keep your skin protected against the harsh rays of the sun. It is 100% organic and natural that can deal with different skin types and even sensitive skin.
7. Vitamin C Serum for Face & Eyes
Candid Essentials Vitamin C boasts its natural and organic ingredients together with the powerful ingredients such as Vitamin E, Hyaluronic acid, and Ferulic acid.
This essential serum is developed to boosts the main ingredient, Vitamin C, to intensify its brightening properties and give the skin’s natural glow but much better. It is combined with hyaluronic acid that bolsters the moisture retention of the skin keeping it hydrated, healthy, and radiant.
This serum is also comprised of collagen-boosting properties, Jojoba Oil, and Witch Hazel that all work together to stimulates regeneration, provides ample moisture and promotes lighter and healthier skin. It also does the wonders to restore the skin from the damaging effects of the sun and make the skin more younger-looking as it combats age spots, fine lines, and wrinkles.
6. Modicum Skincare Essential Serum
If there’s a true vegan in makeup, Modicum Skincare Essential Serum must be it. It is 100% organic and natural. With all the natural ingredients together with Astaxanthin, it improves the texture of the skin and unveils a healthier, softer, and more radiant skin.
Apart from its hydrating benefits, Modicum Skincare serum can also be a treatment that remedies common skin issues such as blemishes, acne breakouts, sunburn, dry skin, inflammation, and scar tissue. It also deals with skin problems that also require specialized treatment such as eczema, rosacea, and psoriasis.
Those who are battling with the signs of aging, this all-natural essential serum can also help eliminate age spots to reveal a more youthful glow.
It regenerates, restores, and replenishes the skin and make it much healthier, smoother, and softer. As it is gentle to the skin, it addresses skin problems for all types of skin.
5. TruSkin Naturals Tea Tree Clear Skin Serum
TruSkin Naturals essential serum highlights Tea Tree oil as the key ingredient; it exfoliates the skin and fights acne-causing bacteria. As it cleanses, soothes, and heals blemishes, acne scars, dark spots, uneven skin tone, and fine lines, the skin reveals a healthier and brighter glow.
Formulated with salicylic acid and B3, it combats the impurities that can foster the growth of acne-causing bacteria and enhances the skin’s overall texture and appearance at the same time. As an essential serum, the concentrated potent formula delivers effective active vitamins and plant extracts to penetrate the skin and deeply nourish within; it brings out a smoother, brighter, and vibrant skin without the impurities. Because it prevents future breakouts, it retains a beautiful and healthier skin that will boost not only your skin’s natural glow but also your self-esteem.
4. Eve Hansen Pure Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum
Eve Hansen claims it as the facelifting in a bottle. Seems exaggerated, but with its stunning hydrating benefits and anti-aging benefits, it can definitely enhance the skin and reveal a beautiful, vibrant and healthy glow. This essential serum concentrates with the power of hyaluronic acid, a popular and common ingredient that boosts moisture retention and anti-aging benefits.
As this serum is formulated with pure hyaluronic acid, it provides ample moisture, firms the skin, promotes elasticity and boosts collagen production. As it soothes the skin and makes it firmer and brighter, it defies common aging signs such as fine lines and wrinkles.
3. Cosmedica Skincare Hyaluronic Acid Serum
If you have sensitive skin, you can consider Cosmedica as an addition to your skincare stash. Formulated with organic and natural ingredients without parabens, Cosmedica ensures a safe and effective skincare treatment. Comprised of hyaluronic acid, this essential serum highlights its brightening and moisturizing benefits without leaving your skin greasy.
As it intensifies moisture, it also works to combat signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles. While it penetrates the skin to deliver the essential ingredients, it unveils a smoother, softer, and more plump skin.
The pure hyaluronic acid makes this essential serum that continuously supplies moisture. It smells nice, does not burn, and leaves a fresh feeling and not muggy.
2. Amara Organics Vitamin C Serum
Amara organics is a topical vitamin C serum that targets skin issues such as age spots, fine lines, enlarged pores, and breakouts. With Vitamin C as its key ingredient, it goes deep down the skin to reveal a brighter and lighter glow. Along with its brightening properties are the wonders of hyaluronic acid and vitamin E that enhances the skin’s texture and appearance. It shrinks pores, prevents future breakouts, and minimizes acne scars.
It also contains age-defying agents that help eliminate age spots, wrinkles, and fine lines. And if you have sensitive skin, you can rely on this essential serum as its 100% organic and natural without the harmful ingredients like parabens, fragrances, fillers, and dyes.
1. SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum
It diminishes fine lines and wrinkles, improves the skin tone and skin texture. SkinMedica is formulated with TNS or Tissue Nutrient Solution that functions to rejuvenate the skin and make it softer and smoother. This solution is the combination of vitamin C and E, retinol, eye cream, and sunscreen.
These ingredients all work together to enhance your skin’s texture and appearance. It even contains anti-aging properties that can fight off fine lines and wrinkles. As it diminishes all these irregularities, it tones the skin and reveals a youthful and healthier glow.
How to Choose the Best Essential Serum for Your Skin
1. CHECK THE KEY INGREDIENT: Every essential serum highlights a key ingredient that is solely formulated to address a specific skin issue. That’s the reason why you can’t just grab a bottle and apply the formulation to your face. If you know what your skin really needs, you’ll be able to pick out the most suitable treatment for the vast selection of serums. The problem is when you are not familiar with the ingredients and how they work on your skin. Educating yourself a tad bit more about these key ingredients and their effects will maximize its benefits. This also helps you rule out if the ingredient is compatible with your skin and hence, can prevent skin irritations and allergic reactions.
- Hyaluronic acid: It is a popular ingredient among serums and moisturizers. It is a natural moisture booster that keeps the skin fully hydrated. While it hydrates the skin, it also improves the skin texture to make it plumper and softer.
- Rosehip oil: It is derived from the seeds of rose bushes which contain essential fatty acids and antioxidants that both works on the skin to hydrate the skin, diminish fine lines and wrinkles, and eliminate dark spots.
- Tea Tree Oil: It is a natural ingredient that fights acne-causing bacteria that usually develops due to dirt, excess sebum, and old makeup. With the merging power of antibacterial properties and antioxidants, it gently cleanses the skin while preventing future acne breakouts.
- Astaxanthin: Astaxanthin is another common ingredient known for its moisturizing benefits. While it improves the moisture retention of the skin, it functions to soothe aggravated skin and make it smoother and softer. This ingredient also contains anti-aging properties that help diminish fine lines and wrinkles.
- Niacinamide: Niacinamide is popularly known as Vitamin B3 that restores and enhances the skin’s overall appearance and texture. With its age-defying benefits, it can give your skin a youthful, softer, and smoother glow.
- Salicylic acid: Salicylic acid is popular among anti-acne products as it clears out the impurities in the skin through exfoliation. It unclogs the pores and strips off dead skin cells that usually foster the growth of acne-causing bacteria. It doesn’t terminate the bacteria that cause acne but it helps prevent it.
2. KNOW YOUR SKIN TYPE: It is important to know your skin type before you purchase an essential serum or any skincare products. Understanding your acne condition or skin problem and your skin type will help you identify what serum works best for you. There are essential serums that are specialized with particular skin types such as oily, dry, sensitive, and combination.
3. CONSIDER THE BRAND: There is always a vast selection of skincare products. But if you don’t have any leads yet about the brand you should use, you can consider reputable skincare brands. Particularly if you have sensitive skin, it is essential to rely on the brands who have established an excellent reputation in the beauty industry. They have studied and pioneered different fields of ingredients and technologies that can produce positive effects on the skin.
If ever you've decided to venture and try out new or cheaper brands, make sure you read the labels and instructions carefully. Checking the reviews would also be helpful. As a rule of thumb, you should try a small amount on your hand to check if it would cause any irritation or unwanted skin reactions.
4. CHECK THE REVIEWS: The reviews can also be your guide in choosing the best essential serum for your skin. You can consider their firsthand experiences in using the product and how effective it will be. However, the results may still vary according to your skin type and application.
With all the overwhelming options of skincare brands on the market, finding the ultimate solution to address your skin issues can be quite tough. Picking out an addition to your beauty skincare and treatment collection shouldn’t be like grabbing anything out of the beauty shelf. It requires careful research and most of the time can be a trial and error thing.
When it comes to essential serums, the best product for your skin depends on what you really need. That’s why it is a must to check the key ingredient, understand and know your skin type, consider reputable brands, and check the reviews before you settle with the essential serum you want to try. ‘We hope that the guidelines and the comprehensive roundup will help you find the best essential serum for your skincare routine.